Trout Tales at Spillian: A Mythic Catskills Weekend
April 26 @ 6:00 pm - April 29 @ 12:00 pm
Gather at Spillian: A Place to Revel for a weekend of exploring the mythic Catskills.
Whether you’re a beginner looking to find out more about fly fishing Catskill streams, or you’re one of the “charmed circle” of fly fishermen, join us for Trout Tales at Spillian, our fifth annual celebration of all things trout.
A superb opportunity to dive deep into the streams and forests of the Catskills, its evocative stories, and its extraordinary cuisine, with lodging at the historic Spillian estate, and the event that birthed a regional celebration of fly-fishing, Catskills Trout Tales.
We will wander the streams with one of the Catskills’ best fly fishing guides, celebrate local flavor, and in the spirit of the 19th Century fishing lodges, gather on Saturday evening for the now-famous trout feast and story telling contest. Competition is brilliant and fierce, with the best tall fishing tales you’ll hear (or tell!) anywhere. Winner gets bragging rights for a year, and the chance to display the highly-coveted silly porcelain trout at your home or workplace, with the promise to come back to defend your title the next round…
Join us for the full weekend or for the Trout Tales feast!
Trout Tales at Spillian. It’s mythic. Local. Real.
• A tasting with brewmeister Richard Rogers from Roscoe Beer Company.
• A guided fishing expedition with Esopus Creel.
• Fireside stories, tales, myths, and legends of the Catskills and its history as the birthplace of American fly-fishing
• Foraging your feast: an exploration of Spillian’s grounds harvesting early spring herbs for dinner
• A hand-crafted farm|forest|stream to table seven course feast from Spillian’s chef Christian Van Etten
• Gentle moving meditation yoga class
• A Sunday morning cooking class: smoking trout over an open fire and wildcrafting pine simple syrup
• Dining and lodging at Spillian’s award-winning estate
About Spillian: A Place to Revel
On a thirty plus acre 19th Century mountain estate built by the Fleischmanns Yeast family as a summer retreat, Spillian offers programs, workshops, special events, and private gatherings and celebrations to guests from around the world. With an extraordinary chef offering custom farm-to-table meals, world-class presenters, and a place rooted in the creative history of the Catskills, Spillian invites guests to dive into what we most passionately wish for. We help you imagine past what you think is possible.